12.16.2009

End of Trimester Thoughts

This past week was the end of our first trimester at Romulus High School. I am trying to form an opinion regarding the use of the trimester system in schools. I did not have this experience through high school, and I'm wondering the benefits of it. What are the drawbacks?
From what I've experienced at Romulus, having trimesters is helpful in that it gives students longer periods. This is helpful in some subjects, I'm sure, but I don't think it is very helpful in mathematics. Students generally learn a new topic one day and practice those problems for homework. Depending on the material, they can come into class the next day and ask questions and have more practice. On the third day, they will again learn something new. This works well if the students have a long semester and can dedicate one whole day to review. However, in trimesters, they only have about 3 months, instead of 4-5 months to get through the required material. Their class periods are longer, but students generally can't learn something new and on the same day practice it and review it. Most students need to do the homework and come back the next day to review after a good night's sleep. Many students do not have math during the second trimester, since it is only required for 2 out 3 trimesters. So they don't have math for 3 months or so, then have to come back and spend so much time refreshing their memories about what they'd learn 4 months ago.
I talked with my mentor teacher about this, and his is not an advocate of trimesters for these reasons. I do not think that the extended time in class each day compensates for missing math completely for 3 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment